عنوان مقاله [English]
To examine the effects of sowing date and water stress on yield and some agronomic traits of three sweet corn hybrids, an experiment was carried out as a strip split-plot design with three replications, at College of Agriculture, Shiraz University, during 2013 and 2014 growing seasons. The main plots composed of two sowing dates (4 and 25 June considered as the optimum and late planting date, respectively) and two levels of water stress (Normal irrigation and withholding irrigation at early silking). Three sweet corn hybrids including KSC403su, Passion, and Signet were considered as sub-plots. Delay in sowing date and water stress significantly reduced fresh ear yield and its components, plant height, ear length, and fresh forage yield in all three hybrids. The KSC403su hybrid showed superiority and the highest fresh ear, kernel, and forage yields when seeds were planted on time and irrigated normally. Under withholding irrigation at early silking and planting on time, yield reduced the most by 45% in KSC403su. Under late planting date and water stress condition, the highest yield reduction was observed in Signet by 44% whereas, the lowest yield reduction was observed in Passion. Therefore, it seems that under recent water shortage of Fars Province, planting of Passion can be recommended as a suitable hybrid in such a region to save water.
10. Ghazian Tafrishi, S., Ayenehband, A., Tavakoli, H., Khavari Khorasani, S. & Joleini, M. (2013). Effect of limited irrigation on yield and yield component of several sweet corn (Zea mays L. var Saccharata) Varieties. Iranian Journal of Field Crops Research, 11(1), 171-178. (In Farsi).
11. Hashemi-Dezfouli, A. & Herbert, S. J. (1992). Intensifying plant density response of corn with artificial shade. Agronomy Journal, 84, 547-551.
12. Howell, T. A. (1990). Grain dry matter yield relations for winter wheat and sorghum. Agronomy Journal, 82, 912-918.
13. Kalamian, S., Modares Sanavi, A. M. & Sepehri, A. (2006). Effect of water deficit at vegetative and reproductive growth stages in leafy and commercial hybrids of maize. Agricultural Research. 5(3), 38-53.
14. Khan, N., Qasim, M., Ahmed, F., Khan, R., Khanzada, A. & Khan, B. (2002). Effects of sowing date on yield of maize under agroclimatic condition of Kaghan Valley. Asian Journal of Plant Science, 1(2), 140- 147.
15. Khazaei, F., AghaAlikhani, M & Modarres Sanavy, S. A. M. (2012). Nitrogen rate and plant density effect on dry matter accumulation and fresh ear yield of sweet corn. Agronomy Journal (Pajouhesh & Sazandegi), 92, 1-8.
16. Lancashire, P. D., Bleiholder, H., Boom, T. V. D., Langelüddeke, P., Stauss, R., Weber, E., Witzenberger, A. (1991). A uniform decimal code for growth stages of crops and weeds. Annals of applied biology, 119(3), 561-601.
17. Mokhtarpoor, H., Sadat, S. A., Bozy, M. T. & Sabery, A. R. (2007). Date of planting and plant density effects on the sweet corn KSC403 yield in the spring planting. Seed and Plant Journal. 23(4), 473-486. (In Farsi).
18. Moser, S. B., Feil, B., Jampatong, S. & Stamp, P. (2006). Effect of pre-anthesis drought, nitrogen fertilizer rate and variety on grain yield, yield components and harvest index of tropical maize. Agricultural Water Management, 81, 41-58.
19. Naraki, H., Faraji, H., Movahedi Dehnavi, M. & Didgah, S. K. (2012). Evaluation of spring sweet corn (Zea mays var saccharata) production in different planting date under plastic cover in Gachsaran province. Journal of Crop Ecophysiology. 6(2), 201-218.
20. Nielsen, D. C. (1997). Water use and yield of canola under dry land conditions in the central Great Plains. Journal of Production Agriculture, 10(2), 307-313.
21. Oktem, A., Eulgun oktem, A. & Coskun, Y. (2004). Determination of sowing dates of sweet corn (Zea mays L. Saccharata Sturt.) under Sanliurfa conditions. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, 28, 83-91.
22. Pessarakli, M. (2001). Handbook of Plant and Crop Physiology (2nd ed.). Marcel Dekker Inc. New York.
23. Reed, A. J., Singletary, G. W., Schussler, J. R., Williamson, D. R. & Christy, A. L. (1988). Shading effects on dry matter and nitrogen partitioning, kernel number, and yield of maize. Crop Science, 28, 819-825.
24. Shoa Hosseini, M., Khavari, M. & Khorasani, S. (2007). Investigation of water deficit stress on yield and yield components using path analysis in some corn hybrids. Journal of Agricultural Science,18(1), 71-85. (In Farsi).
25. Turgut, I., Duman, A., Bilgili, U. & Acikgoz, E. (2005). Alternate Row Spacing and Plant Density Effects on Forage and Dry Matter Yield of Corn Hybrids (Zea mays L.). Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science, 191(2), 146-151.
26. Wiatrak, P. J., Wrighta, D. L., Maroisa, J. & Sprenkel, R. (2004). Corn hybrids for late planting in the southeast. Agronomy Journal, 96, 1118-1124.
27. Wolfe, D. W., Henderson, D. W., Hsiao, T. C. & Alvins, A. (1988). Interactive water and nitrogen effects on senescence of maize. II. Photosynthetic decline and longevity of individual leaves. Agronomy Journal, 80, 865-870.